Kouluttaja: Ari Hovi
Disciplined Agile Data Warehousing (DW)/Business Intelligence (BI) Workshop
- 27.09.2018 - 28.09.2018 Paasitorni, Paasivuorenkatu 5, Helsinki 1 800 € + alv
Miltä kuulostaa tulosten aikaansaaminen viikossa?
Yrityksten ja organisaatioiden vaatimukset tietovarasto,- (DW) tai Business Intelligence -projekteille ovat kasvaneet.
Ulkoisen ympäristön muuttuessa nopeasti, tuloksia halutaan viikoissa, ei kuukausissa tai jopa vuosissa. Tämä saattaa tuntuu osasta ylioptimistiselta. Onko tuo muka mahdollista?
Nämä aikataulut ovat kuitenkin saavutettavissa, mikäli hyödynnämme Disciplined Agile -lähestymistapaa.
Hyvä uutinen on, että tekniikat ovat olemassa ja ne ovat empiirisesti testattu toimiviksi . Moni ei ole kuitenkaan niistä tietoinen tai ei aivan osaa soveltaa niitä käytännössä.
Tule oppimaan Agile-menetelmien soveltaminen DW/BI alueella ketterien menetelmien supervaikuttajalta, kanadalaiselta Scott Amblerilta!
Agile transformation is hard because cultural change is hard. It’s not one problem that needs to be solved, but a series of hundreds decisions affecting lots of people over a long period of time that affects relationships, processes, and even the state of mind of those working within the change.
Disciplined Agile (DA) is unlike any other framework, because it’s based on empiricism, industry data and adoption of proven practices. The result is a huge wealth of structured information that allows you to map your challenges into a tree structure of proven strategies that other people have found to work in practice. In effect you can apply the DA framework to identify process improvements that reflect the actual situations faced by your teams.
This workshop focuses on how to apply the DA framework to deliver sophisticated agile solutions in the enterprise, and in particular DW/BI solutions. The DA framework builds on the existing proven practices from agile methods such as Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Lean software development, Unified Process, Agile Modeling, and Agile Data to include other aspects necessary for success in enterprise-class settings. Filling in the gaps left by mainstream methods, DA provides guidance on how to effectively plan and kickstart complex projects as well as how to apply a full lifecycle approach, with lightweight milestones, effective metrics, and agile governance.
Organizations want to gain the benefits of agile – greater quality, improved stakeholder satisfaction, faster delivery, and higher productivity – for their Data Warehouse (DW)/Business Intelligence (BI) teams. In today’s competitive business environment new DW/BI solutions must be delivered in weeks, not months or years. Enhancements must be delivered in hours or days, not weeks or months. These delivery timeframes sound like fanciful thinking for traditional teams but are commonly achieved by teams following Disciplined Agile approaches. The good news is that proven techniques exist for DW/BI practitioners to work in an agile manner. The bad news is that many existing DW/BI practitioners don’t know that these techniques exist, or if they do they don’t know how to apply them in practice. This workshop introduces these agile DW/BI techniques and shows how they fit together in practice.
Very often people start with Scrum, but they quickly discover that to make Scrum work for Agile DW/BI it needs to be significantly extended to address the challenges of DW/BI teams. These extensions include initial planning, initial requirements elicitation, initial architecture modeling, agile data modeling throughout construction, continuous database development, and streamlined deployment activities to name a few. The Disciplined Agile process decision framework has already done this extension work to address the challenges faced by DW/BI teams. Furthermore, because DA seamlessly supports both Scrum-based and continuous delivery strategies it is suitable for DW/BI teams new to agile as well as experienced teams looking to improve their approach.
This workshop teaches you the techniques required to make agile DW/BI teams successful. An important aspect of this workshop is working through a DW/BI-specific case study. This workshop is not technical and is suitable for all team members. Group exercises reinforce the principles learned. The workshop is valuable for anyone who wants to understand how agile solution delivery works from end-to-end or anyone tasked with moving from traditional approaches to agile, particularly in enterprise settings.
IT practitioners new to agile who want to get an effective start at agile solution delivery
- Existing agile practitioners who want to take it to the next level
- Agile DW/BI practitioners: If you want to take Agile DW/BI to the next level
- DW/BI Managers or practitioners: If Agile DW/BI is new to you and if you wish an effective launch of Agile DW/BI
- Senior IT Management who want to gain a deep understanding of how to take a disciplined approach to agile DW/BI solution delivery
- Attendees learn about fundamental agile database techniques that are critical to the success of Agile DW/BI development
- Attendees learn how to apply Disciplined Agile strategies
- Attendees earn the designation of Disciplined Agilist
- Discover how agile solution delivery works in enterprise-class settings
- Learn how to avoid costly ”agile beginner mistakes” by starting with a full delivery lifecycle
- Learn how all aspects of software delivery – architecture, design, testing, programming, leadership, quality assurance, data administration – come together in a cohesive whole
- Learn how people in traditional DW/BI roles can transition into an agile team
Outline: Day 1.
- Introduction to Disciplined Agile (DA): Learn about the five delivery lifecycles supported by DA; how DA is a hybrid that shows how proven practices from a range of sources fits together; how to take a flexible, non-prescriptive approach to agile development; the importance of being enterprise aware.
- Disciplined Agile roles: Team Lead (ScrumMaster), Product Owner, Architecture Owner, Team Member, Stakeholder + five more optional scaling roles.
- Fundamentals of Disciplined Agile DW/BI
- Inception Phase: How to initiate a disciplined agile DW/BI team, with a focus on:
- Initial requirements modeling
- Initial architecture modeling
- Initial planning
Outline: Day 2.
- Construction Phase: How disciplined agile DW/BI construction works, with a focus on agile database practices such as:
- Agile data modeling
- Agile DW architecture and design strategies
- Vertical slicing of DW/BI requirements to enable incremental delivery
- Database refactoring
- Database regression testing
- Continuous database integration
- Transition Phase: Overviews strategies for releasing the solution to your stakeholders.
- Summarizing the Workshop: A Retrospective
- An appreciation of the Disciplined Agile mindset. People who are new to agile, or who need a refresher, should watch the Agile Mindset and Disciplined Agile Mindset videos on the Recorded Presentations page.